International Foundation Year in Dentistry
This is your pathway to the prestigious five-year Dental Surgery Bachelor's degree at the University of Sheffield.
Sheffield is ranked 9th in the UK for Dentistry (The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022)
Progress to the School of Clinical Dentistry
The unique, purpose-built International Foundation Year in Dentistry will develop your skills so you're prepared for the prestigious BDS Dental Surgery degree at the University of Sheffield. Each year up to 10 ambitious students complete this programme and progress to the Dental Surgery degree.
Who is the programme for?
- Ambitious students who want to study at a high-ranking, Russell Group UK university
- Students who are prepared to work hard to achieve their career goals in dentistry
- International students who would like to spend time in the UK preparing for their undergraduate study at Sheffield within a supportive and friendly environment
What will you study?
This 2-semester programme has been developed in collaboration with the University of Sheffield's School of Clinical Dentistry. In this entirely unique foundation programme, you will study modules relevant to the field of dentistry. Some components of the programme are delivered within the School of Clinical Dentistry, giving you an insight into the facilities and style of teaching at the University of Sheffield. You'll also study core modules that will boost your English and academic skills to the level you need for study at the University.
- Academic English Skills
- Project Skills
- Dentistry (Delivered at the School of Clinical Dentistry)
Why study Dentistry at Sheffield?
- The University of Sheffield is ranked 7th in the UK for Dentistry (The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021)
- BDS Dental Surgery has 91% overall student satisfaction, which puts the programme within the top 5 Russell Group Universities (National Student Survey 2020)
- Sheffield is ranked among the top 100 in the world for clinical and health subjects (Times Higher Education World Subject Rankings 2021)
- BDS Dental Surgery is fully accredited by the General Dental Council and the University's School of Clinical Dentistry is linked to the Charles Clifford Dental Hospital, where the majority of clinical teaching takes place.
Progress to your degree
Throughout your time with us at the College you will receive regular feedback on your progress so you know you’re on the pathway to success. To help you reach your goals, our dedicated progression support team will support you.
Once you complete your International Foundation Year in Dentistry and achieve the required grades, you will progress to the five-year BDS Dental Surgery degree at the University of Sheffield.
Please note: All foundation students embarking on BDS Dental Surgery will need to have read and agreed to the terms and conditions set out in the Clinical Student Entry Agreement.
In addition to achieving the required progression grades, you will be expected to meet the following progression requirements:
- Completion of the Discover Dentistry MOOC
- Minimum 50% in School of Clinical Dentistry Enhancement Elements Assessment
- No ‘red flag’ outcomes in Situational Judgement Test (SJT)
- UCAT score above annual threshold set by the School of Clinical Dentistry
|Degree Programme Name||Award||Overall Grade||English Grade|
Course length: 2 semesters*
Entry point: September
Age on entry: Students will normally be 17 years of age or older. Students wishing to progress to this degree must turn 18 by the end of September of the academic year when they start their undergraduate course at the University.
Entry requirements: Check academic and English language entry requirements
*Dentistry is only available in September.
Find tuition fees for all International College programmes, as well as information on insurance and taxi transfers from the airport.