The University of Sheffield campus is in the heart of the city and has everything you need within walking distance. You’ll find excellent facilities, study areas and the number 1 Students’ Union in the country.
Join in from day one at the International College
The University of Sheffield International College is located on the main campus. As an International College student, you are welcome to join in with many of the events held by the University and Students’ Union. You can join societies, start your own club or get involved in campaigning for a better future as an associate member of the Students’ Union.
No. 1 Students’ Union
Students rate the University of Sheffield Students’ Union as the very best in the UK – it has been voted number 1 for the past six years in a row by the Whatuni Student Choice Awards (2017-2023).
What's on campus?
The Students' Union has its own bar, café and restaurant run by students. It’s a great place to meet friends or grab some lunch. The Union is also about representing the issues that matter to you most. The student council helps you get your voice heard and has a dedicated officer for international students.
Everything you need:
- 350 clubs and societies
- Bar, café and restaurant
- Box office for tickets to concerts and performances
- Musical and theatrical events
- Student council
- Support services
- A bookshop
- State-of-the-art fitness centre, with a gym, fitness classes, and a heated indoor pool.
Student clubs and societies
There are hundreds of university clubs and societies on campus. You can try something new, build a new strength and make new friends. If you aren’t sure what you want to try, the ‘Give it a Go’ programme is a great way to sample different societies on a trial basis. You simply buy a ticket to attend an activity once and then you can see if you like it.
Develop leadership skills volunteering at schools and charities, write for the student newspaper or try out the bouldering wall on campus. You’ll definitely find something that interests you.
Opportunities to get involved include:
- Sheffield volunteering
- Film making
- Faith groups
- Sheffield entrepreneurs
- Natural history
University of Sheffield facilities
Sheffield has everything you need to study, relax and socialise:
- Western Bank Library — home to new media, digital works, texts and research materials
- The Diamond — provides exceptional engineering facilities as well as study areas for all undergraduate students
- iForge — UK's first student-led makerspace, with facilities include laser cutters and 3D printers. The iForge is open to all students, regardless of what they are studying.
- Information Commons — a multi-purpose learning environment and library with 24-hour access
- The Arts Tower — the tallest academic building in the UK, and the city’s second tallest building makes for an exciting place to learn
- Plus many restaurants and cafes on campus.
The Goodwin Sports Centre has excellent facilities for students at the University and International College:
- State-of-the-art fitness centre with gym, fitness classes and heated indoor swimming pool with sauna and steam rooms
- Sports pitches
- Multi-purpose sports hall
- Bouldering wall
- Squash courts
- Tennis courts.
You will be part of a community of international students as the University is where the popular 'We Are International' campaign began. Sheffield students wanted to highlight the importance of welcoming international students to world-leading universities, and now the award-winning campaign has been taken up across the UK. Follow the popular #WeAreInternational hashtag for updates.
No. 1 for clubs and societies
(StudentCrowd Awards 2023)
Born in Iran. Made in Sheffield.
There are societies for all nations in Sheffield. I think joining the societies helps the homesickness. We have Sheffield Iranian film nights every Monday. We play Iranian films and we have an Iranian discussion.
International Foundation Year Business, Law, Social Sciences and Humanities
BA (Hons) Accounting and Financial Management and Economics