International Foundation Year in Science and Engineering
Start your journey to an undergraduate degree in engineering and science, where you will use fundamental mathematical and scientific principles to understand how the world works.
Exceptional science and engineering facilities
Progress to a degree in Faculty of Engineering or Faculty of Science
The International Foundation Year in Science and Engineering leads to a wide range of undergraduate engineering and science degrees at the University.
Who is the programme for?
- Ambitious students aiming to study at a top-ranking university
- Those who are passionate about science and engineering
- Students who are interested in a practical way of learning
What will you study?
This is a 1.5 or 2-semester programme that will be tailored to prepare you for your chosen undergraduate degree at Sheffield. Programmes have been developed in collaboration with the University so modules are relevant to your field of study. You will develop the academic and English language skills needed for undergraduate study. Some modules will be compulsory for progression on to specific degree programmes at the University.
- Academic English Skills
- Project Skills
- Academic Success
Pathway modules (related to your degree choice)
Why study science or engineering at Sheffield?
- The University's Faculty of Science and Faculty of Engineering are some of the biggest and best providers of engineering research and education in the UK.
- There are more than 100 science and engineering related progression degrees at the University of Sheffield.
- Join a whole range of related societies and clubs – from Women in Computer Science Society to the Engineering Society.
- Siemens has collaborated with the University’s Careers Service, allowing students access to Siemens Connected Curriculum and the brand new Digital Innovation Zone.
- In the past three years, over 750 engineering students have completed an Industrial Placement Year.
Course length: 1.5 or 2 semesters
2 semesters – September, November (Enhanced Induction) or January
1.5 semesters – March
Age on entry:
Students should be at least 17 years of age on entry to the International College*.
Entry requirements: Check academic and English language entry requirements
*For some degrees, students must be aged 18 or over upon progression to the University. Please visit the relevant programme route page for more information.
World top 100
- Civil and Structural Engineering
- Materials Sciences
- Mechanical, Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering
QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023
Progress to your degree
You will receive regular feedback on your progress throughout your course so you know you’re on the right track. We have a dedicated team that offers progression support throughout your studies.
Once you complete your International Foundation Year in Science and Engineering and achieve the required grades, you can enter your chosen degree at the University of Sheffield.
- Places are limited on some degree courses, so you are advised to apply and confirm your place as soon as possible.
- In addition to the overall academic and English grades as displayed in the table below, students are also required to meet the minimum module grades for their chosen progression degree. All information will be provided to students when they begin their studies on campus.
|Degree Programme Name||Award||Overall Grade||English Grade|
Design portfolio required at application to the International College.
- Structural Engineering and Architecture MEng (Hons)
Not available for March Starters. Students wishing to progress to these degree programmes at the University will require an English level of IELTS 0.5 or equivalent higher than the standard level of entry to their International Foundation Year.
- Biochemistry BSc (Hons)
- Biochemistry with a Year in Industry BSc (Hons)
- Biological Sciences BSc (Hons)
- Biological Sciences MBiolSci
- Biomedical Science BSc (Hons)
- Biomedical Science MBiolSci (Hons)
- Biomedical Science with a Year in Industry BSc (Hons)
- Biomedical Science with a Year in Industry MBiomedSci (Hons)
- Chemistry with Biological and Medicinal Chemistry BSc (Hons)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology BSc (Hons)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology MBiolSci (Hons)
- Psychology BSc (Hons)
- Zoology BSc (Hons)
- Zoology MBiolSci (Hons)
Students must be 18 or over when starting their degree.
- Biomedical Science BSc (Hons)
Not available for March Starters. Students must attend at least two events organised by the Academic Unit of Ophthalmology and Orthoptics. Students must be 18 or over when starting their degree.
- Orthoptics BMedSci (Hons)
4 years course:
- Aerospace Engineering MEng
- Aerospace Engineering with Private Pilot Instruction MEng
- Biomedical Engineering BEng
- Biomedical Engineering MEng
- Biomedical Engineering with an Industrial Placement Year BEng
- Computer Systems Engineering MEng
- Computer Systems Engineering with an Industrial Placement Year BEng
- General Engineering with an Industrial Placement Year BEng
- Materials Science and Engineering MEng
- Mechatronic and Robotic Engineering with an Industrial Placement Year BEng
5 years course:
- Biomedical Engineering with an Industrial Placement Year MEng
- Chemical Engineering with an Industrial Placement Year MEng (Hons)
- General Engineering with an Industrial Placement Year MEng
- Mechatronic and Robotic Engineering with an Industrial Placement Year MEng
The following degrees lead to an Engineering career rather than Architecture:
- Architectural Engineering MEng
The following degrees are not available for progression for March/April starters via Biological, Medical and Life Sciences route. However, it is available for progression for March/April starters via Chemistry & Eng or Physics and Eng subject routes as shown on the website:
- Environmental Science BSc
- Environmental Science MEnv
- Geography BSc (Hons)
English language courses
If you need additional support to reach the English language level for this programme you can take one of our English language courses first.Find out more
Join us in November 2023
Get a head start on your studies with our 3-week Enhanced Induction programme, designed to help you settle into your new home before starting your programme in January 2024 – all offered at no extra cost.Find out more
Born in Malaysia. Made in Sheffield.
I’m having fun along the way. It prepared me in terms of writing lab reports. If I had to go in [to the University] with just my high school experience, it would be a lot more difficult. When we did applied mathematics here, we didn’t cover it at all back in Malaysia, so it was really interesting and it really helps in my mathematics studies now.
International Foundation Year Science and Engineering
BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering
How to apply
Ready to apply? Discover how to submit an application and learn more about fees, semester dates and entry requirements.
University of Sheffield International College
The University of Sheffield International College helps you improve your English, develop your academic skills, and grow the confidence needed to succeed in a degree at the University.
English language courses
Improve your English skills with one of our English language courses designed to support international students studying a pathway programme at the International College.