English language preparation courses
Take an English language preparation course if you need additional support before you start the International Foundation Year or Pre-Masters. These courses are taught in partnership with the University.
Flexible study options for September 2022 (1 term only)
English language preparation programmes
If you need additional English language support before starting your pathway programme with us in January 2023, you can take our English Language Preparation programme. Starting in September, we have flexible study options to suit you.
- Study the 1 term English language preparation course online or on campus.
Studying online, you can expect:
- Live online lessons in small groups with experienced teachers
- A personal tutor
- Technical support
- Weekly conversation clubs and games/film events
If you choose to join us on campus, you can expect:
- Experienced teachers and support staff
- Additional health and safety measures
- Blended learning, which is a mixture of face-to-face and virtual learning
- Weekly sports and social activities
- Weekend trips (additional cost apply)
Please also note that you must be on-campus for the start of your academic programme (International Foundation Year/Pre-Masters programme) in January 2023.
Improve your English language skills before your course
Our English language courses will help you achieve the necessary English language level needed to start any of our programmes. The length of your course and start date will depend on your English language ability and when you hope to start your International Foundation Year or Pre-Masters.
You can check if you meet the English language level already on our entry requirements page.
Benefits of English language preparation
No matter which of our English language preparation courses you choose, it will help you to:
- Get the most out of both your International College programme and University degree.
- Help you to feel more confident whilst living and learning in the UK.
- Study an English course designed specifically to help you with academic study.
- Develop the skills to join us at the International College.
Born in Malaysia. Made in Sheffield.
My English has got a lot better. I did consider myself a pretty proficient English speaker before this, but moving here and having to communicate only in English really helped me.
BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Before the International Foundation Year
English Language Preparation
If you need additional language training before you start your International Foundation Year, you can join our English Language Preparation programme, which is:
- designed to improve your English language skills to the level required for entry to the International Foundation Year
- taught in partnership with the University’s English Language Teaching Centre.
English Language Preparation students do not need to take an additional IELTS test at the end of their course to progress on to their International Foundation Year. They will be assessed on their English Language Preparation course grades at the English Language Teaching Centre.
Before the Pre-Masters programme
English for Pre-Masters
If you need additional language training before you start your Pre-Masters, you can join our intensive English for Pre-Masters programme, which is:
- taught in partnership with the University’s English Language Teaching Centre
- designed to improve your English language skills needed to start the Pre-Masters.
English for Pre-Masters students do not need to take an additional IELTS test at the end of their course to progress on to their Pre-Masters programme. They will be assessed on their Academic English Skills (AES) grade at the English Language Teaching Centre (they will be required to achieve a minimum of 40% in all areas).
Find out the academic and English language entry requirements for your chosen programme at the International College.
Find tuition fees for all International College programmes, as well as information on insurance and taxi transfers from the airport.