Student living costs
Sheffield is the fifth largest city (World Population Review 2021) in the UK but still enjoys comparatively affordable living costs compared to other student cities.
An affordable cost of living makes Sheffield a popular student city
Cost of living in Sheffield
Sheffield is the joint 3rd most affordable student city in the UK, according to Student Living Index 2022 by NatWest.
Accommodation, travel, food and entertainment are affordable in Sheffield. And it’s easy to get around the city on foot. You can also save with student tickets on the trams and buses.
Most places offer student discounts, so make sure you keep your student ID with you to save money on food, entertainment and shopping.
- Regular cappuccino: £2.93*
- Meal in an inexpensive restaurant: £10*
- Single short distance tram start at £2.20 (per journey), while a day ticket costs £5.00^. You can get discounted rates if you use your student card/buy on the App
- You can also get around by bus, which is discounted if you bring your student card with you. Student singles cost either £1.20, or an unlimited weekly travel ticket is available for only £12.00**
Prices are intended as a guide only:
*Numbeo, February 2023
^Stagecoach, February 2023
**First Bus, February 2023
- Accommodation: St Vincent’s Place cost starts from £146.44 per week and Student Roost starts from £109 per week (including bills)
- Gym membership at Sport Sheffield: £319 per year (annual membership) plus £15 joining fee
- Campus food and drink: Use your GeniUS loyalty rewards card at any on-campus café, bar, pub and shop
Top tips for saving money
- Sort out your budget – know your essential outgoings per month so you can work out what’s left to spend
- Go to student events for cheaper prices
- Ask shops, restaurants, hairdressers about student discounts
- Use your UCard (University identification card) to access more discounts
- Search online for restaurant and cinema vouchers and discounts
UCAS has some useful tips on how to manage money with their budgeting tips.
Find tuition fees for all International College programmes, as well as information on insurance and taxi transfers from the airport.Fees
Explore accommodation options for while you’re studying at the International College, including our newest development in a beautiful converted church – St Vincent’s Place.
Read our blog to find out more about international student life at the University of Sheffield International College. Find study abroad advice, career tips, stories from students and latest news. Read more.