Progression advice for international students
The University of Sheffield International College is your pathway to a Russell Group university and an exciting student experience. We are here to help you succeed.
A dedicated team to support you every step of the way
Progress to the University of Sheffield
Our programmes will prepare you for the challenges of studying at a top-ranked university – like meeting deadlines, managing your workload and working independently. Entry requirements are high to reflect this, but we want you to know that we are dedicated to helping you progress to the University.
If you realise your chosen degree programme isn’t right for you, we can help you choose one more suitable to your ambitions. Or if you don’t quite achieve the grades you hoped for, we can guide you with many different options.
Your success in achieving a place at the University of Sheffield is a key priority to everybody working at the College. You’ll have the support of a dedicated team of 100 academics and support staff, all committed to providing you with the best chance of success.
At every stage of your studies at the College, you’ll be in good hands. We provide personalised support for all, and help you to reach the grades you need.
How we help you:
- academic guidance through regular personal development sessions
- pastoral care, safeguarding and guidance from our support staff
- advice and guidance from our progression team on receiving results
- inspirational visits, guest speakers and events with university faculties
- support studying an intensive curriculum, designed in collaboration with the University
- performance tracking throughout your programme to identify weaknesses and develop a student progression plan if needed
- small classes to give you individual attention.
What we need from you:
- motivation to achieve your best – you will be surrounded by ambitious students just like you
- take advantage of the support we offer and ask for help if you need it
- understand the Student Agreement - this is a set of guidelines for staff and students to make sure you have all you need to progress.
Scholarships for top students
Every year, the University awards 18 top performing students at the International College a progression scholarship worth £1,000.
Progression support team
Our progression support team is dedicated to helping you achieve your best results. They offer expert advice and guidance throughout your programme as well as on results day.
- events so you can meet with university departments
- connecting you to the University so you can learn more about your chosen degree and decide if it's right for you
- flexibility to change your progression degree during first term at the College if you change your mind
- option to choose a back-up degree choice if you are worried about meeting the grades.
Opportunity to change your progression degree
Lillith from China talks about changing her progression degree after she arrived at the University of Sheffield International College to something she’s more passionate about.
What if I don't get the grades I need?
Should you need it, support is available if you don’t achieve the grades you need. There is often another chance to improve your grades and get accepted by the University.
Talk to your academic adviser and progression support team for advice on:
- retaking assessments
- repeating modules
- finding alternative degree programmes at the University through a dedicated Clearing event for International College students.
If you still haven't achieved what you need to progress, we can support you to apply to alternative universities.
We are proud of the successful progression of our students.
2021 progression highlights
- 89% of students who completed their preparation programme at the International College were offered a place to study at the University of Sheffield.
Born in Taiwan. Made in Sheffield.
In terms of academic progression, we have scheduled conversations with our tutors every two weeks and in those conversations you get to talk with the tutor about the things you want to improve in your academic studies. They are helpful in that they will help you set up your goals or what you might do, strategies you may employ to improve your study.
BA(Hons) International Relations and Politics
We are here to support you from the moment you decide to join us to the moment you progress to your degree. Find out about student support.
The Students’ Union is the social hub on campus. It’s a place to try new things and discover what you’re passionate about. Find hundreds of student societies, sports clubs and events, as well as help and advice if you need someone to talk to.