What is a Pre-Masters course?
A Pre-Masters course offers a path to postgraduate study in the UK for international students. It’s an intensive two- or three-term programme that combines English language preparation, study skills and academic coursework to specifically prepare you for taught Masters study at a UK university.
What does a Pre-Masters course in the UK cover?
Pre-Masters courses typically cover a mixture of academic subjects, with English language skills and study skills to help you adjust to study methods in the UK.
At the University of Sheffield International College you can choose from two study routes:
- Business, Law and Social Sciences
- Science and Engineering
Both focus on the academic areas that are most relevant to your chosen Masters degree. Whatever route you choose you’ll study a range of subject-specific modules as well as a group of core modules that are common to both routes.
What are the benefits of a UK Pre-Masters course?
- Meet entry requirements – if you don’t meet the requirements for direct entry to a Masters degree, or you want to refresh your academic knowledge and language skills, a Pre-Masters course will get you to the skill level you need for guaranteed entry onto a masters degree course.
- Time to adjust – arriving in the UK a year before your Masters degree starts gives you time to adjust to your new home, culture, the language, and more. It ensures that you’re as comfortable, settled and confident as can be before you begin your studies, so you can get off to the best start possible.
- Teaching methods – The University of Sheffield International College’s Pre-Masters courses are taught on campus, using the same university teaching methods as you’ll experience on your Masters degree programme. It allows you to get used to new teaching methods ahead of time.
How to apply for a Pre-Masters course at The University of Sheffield International College
First you’ll need to decide which course you want to choose. As well as your two routes: Business, Law and Social Sciences or Science and Engineering, you have a choice of a three-term or two-term programme.
- Two-term programme – this option is available to international students who achieve an IELTS score of 6.0
- Three-term programme – this course is designed for international students who have an IELTS score between 5.5 and 6.0
When do you want to start?
The University of Sheffield International College provides three start dates for Pre-Masters courses throughout the year, to allow you to pick a start date that’s most convenient for you.
- September and January – for the three-term programme
- January and April – these start dates are available for the two-term programme
With all of these course dates you’ll have time to complete your course and transfer to join your Masters or postgraduate course at The University of Sheffield in September.
- You can apply for a Pre-Masters at The University of Sheffield International College via the online application form.
- You can also apply via an agent, who will guide you through the process and submit any relevant documents to the International College on your behalf.
- You can scan in, upload and email your supporting documents.
- The International College will contact you to tell you whether or not you’ve been accepted.
- You should then apply for your visa. You can find out more about international student visa requirements and timescales for delivery of visas on the UK government website.
We wish you the best of luck! And if you have any queries at all you can get in touch with the International College direct via its enquiry form or contact us page.